- If available, try a different ribbon in the printer. If it works, then contact your dealer to have the ribbon replaced.
- Plug the printer into a different wall socket or surge protector
- Update the printer firmware and driver
- Calibrate the ribbon sensor through the printer driver
- Try a printer self test. If this works, the problem is likely with your computer, driver, or badging software
- Confirm that you have the correct MagTech power supply
When a Fargo HDP5000 is displaying an error message that says Error 97: Check Ribbon, this is called a “ribbon miscue”. There are a number of troubleshooting steps you can attempt before resorting to sending the printer in for service:
If none of these resolve the issue, the ribbon sensor in the printer has likely failed and will need to be replaced by an authorized service center.